ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR THIS WEEK –>
- Parent and Runner meeting WEDNESDAY AUGUST 24th IN THE high SChool Library at 5:30pm
- Flag selling is continuing this week, goal is each runner to sell 5-10 flags
- NO group practice on FIRST DAY of school, first DAY will be as a group TUESDAY @7pm
- THIS WEEK WILL BE A LITTLE OFF DUE TO FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL
MONDAY –> on your own LONG RUN (60 min run + 4×100 strides)
TUESDAY –> Meet at JH field house @7pm *let coaches know for conflicts
WEDNESDAY –> Meet at JH field house @5:45am ((PARENT MEETING @5:30pm)
THURSDAY –> Meet as JH field house @5:45am (due to few conflicts in afternoon)
FRIDAY –> Meet at JH Field house @5:45am (due to Monday on your own)
- SPRING HILL BACK TO SCHOOL PEP RALLY IS AT 5:30 FRIDAY AFTERNOON ALL HIGH SCHOOL RUNNERS MUST BE THERE, JH ARE ENCOURAGED TO COME AS WELL.
- OUR FLAG FUNDRAISER (MORE INFO WILL COME)
- THE TIME TRIAL WILL BE UPDATED SOON, IF TRACK AT SH IS READY IT WILL BE AT SH, IF NOT IT WILL BE AT PT. WE WILL MEET AT 8:30PM AND GO TILL ABOUT 9:45PM
SUNDAY (14TH) –> OFF OR LONG
MONDAY (15TH) –> Meet at JH field house at 6:00am
TUESDAY (16TH) –> Meet at JH field house at 3:00pm (the HIGH is 80)
WEDNESDAY (17TH) –> Meet at JH field house at 6:30am (giving you some time to sleep)
THURSDAY (18th) –> time trial day (meet at either SH or PT at 8:30pm)
FRIDAY (19th) –> Meet at JH field house at 9:00 am (allowing you to sleep due to the time trial yesterday) ….
SATURDAY (20TH) –> OFF OR 60 MIN RUN
IN SCHOOL SNACK OPTIONS:
STUDENT-ATHLETES SHOULD EAT EVERY 2-3 HOURS
NOTE ALL OF THESE SNACKS CAN BE EASILY GRABED AND NOT REQUIRE ANY PEELING, AND CAN BE QUICKLY EATED THROUGOUT THE DAY
–MAKE YOUR OWN TRAIL MIX (WITH THINGS YOU ENJOY)
- A) CEREAL (WHOLE GRAIN & NOT FULL SUGAR)
- B) CRASENS & RAISENS
- C) SEEDS: (PUMPKIN, SUNFLOWER, EXC.)
- D) NUTS: (CASHEW, PENUTS, ALMONDS, EXC.)
- E) SWEET: (DARK CHOCHLATE CHIPS, M&MS, EXC.)
-PENUT BUTTER CRACKERS (EVEN CHEAPER BUY YOUR OWN CRACKERS AND PUT PB ON THEM)
**A GOOD NUTRITIONAL PENUT BUTTER IS CALLED (PB2) OR (CHOCHLATE PB2) YOU CAN NOW BUY THEM AT MOST GROCERY STORES. Or at SAMs called PBfit.
-DRIED FRUIT (A CHEAP WAY CAN BE TO GET A CHEAPER DEHYDRATOR AND THEN BUY THE REDUCED FRUIT AT GROCERY STORES.)
-FRUIT (THAT YOU CAN EASILY GRAB) GRAPES, APPLE SCLICES, OR CUT UP FRUIT, EXC
-VEGGIES (CARROTS, CHERRY TOMATOES, EXC)
WHAT TO TRY AND AVOID FOR SNACKS:
–CHIPS (FRITOS, DORITOS, POTATOE CHIPS, EXC) *THESE ARE NOT BAD, BUT DO NOT HOLD
ENOUGH NUTRITIONAL VALUE TO HELP FOR WORKOUTS THROUGOUT THE DAY.
-CANDY (SKITTLES, TWIZZLERS, SOUR PATCH KIDS, EXC)
HYDRATION: **GATHERED FROM NCAA
GOALS OF PERFORMANCE HYDRATIOIN-
- Begin workouts in a well-hydrated state
- Maintain hydration throughout practice (avoid only the beginning & end)
- By maintaining hydration you will maximize your performance.
- Improve ability to recover quickly from training and competition
- Minimize injury and muscle cramps (Yes injuries can come from poor hydration!)
CONSEQUENCES OF DEHYDRATION:
- PERFORMANCE DECLINES WITH AS LITTLE AS 2 TO 3 PERCENT DECREASES IN BODY WEIGHT FROM WATER (SWEAT) LOSS.
- INCREASED CORE TEMPERATRUE AND HEART RATE
- DECREASED BLOOD PRESSURE
- NAUSEA AND VOMITING
- GENERAL FEELING OF FATIGUE
- MUSCLE CRAMPS
TIPS TO TAKE WITH YOU TO MONITOR YOUR OWN:
- MONITOR YOUR URINE COLOR (CLEAR TO PALE YELLOW IS OPTIMAL HYDRATION STATUS)
- FRUITS AND VEGETABLES ARE MADE MOSTLY OF WATER AND ARE A GREAT WAY TO ADD FLUIDS TO HELP MEET YOUR HYDRATION NEEDS. PLUS, THEY HAVE LOTS OF VITAMIMNS AND MINERALS!
- WEIGH IN BEFORE PRACTICE AND AFTER TO DETERMINE YOUR AMOUNT OF WATER LOSS.
- IF YOU ARE A SALTY SWEATER, EAT SALTY FOODS BEFORE ACTIVITY AND DON’T BE AFRAID TO USE THE SALT SHAKER. REPLACE LOSES POST-WORKOUT WITH WATERY FOODS THAT CONTAIN SALT, SUCH AS BROTH-BASED SOUPS OR VEGETABLE JUICE.
- CARRY A WATER BOTTLE WITH YOU SO YOU CAN DRINK WATER THROUGHOUT THE DAY.
INTAKE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR HYDRATION à
|BEFORE PRACTICE OR WORKOUT||2 TO 3 HOURS BEFORE: 16 OUNCES (ABOUT 1 WATER BOTTLE)
15 MINUTES BEFORE: 8 OUNCES (1/2 A BOTTLE)
|DURING PRACTICE AND WORKOUT||4 OUNCES OF FLUID EVERY 15 TO 20 MIN (ABOUT 2-3 GULPS|
|AFTER WORKOUT OR PRACTICE||16 TO 20 OUNCES OF FLUID FOR EVERY POUND LOST (1 TO 1 ½ WATER BOTTLES PER POUND LOST)|
**RULE OF THUMB OR RECOMMENDATION FOR SPORTS DRINK: DRINK A BOTTLE OF WATER BEFORE YOU DRINK A SPORTS DRINK. THEY ARE NEEDED, JUST IN MODERATION. IF YOU ARE WORKOUT MORE THAN 60 MINUTES, CONSUMINS A SPORTS DRINK CAN HELP REPLINISH YOUR BODY OF MANY NUTRIENTS AND ELECTROLIGHTS TO SUSTAIN PERFORMANCE.
This past week 18 runners from the JH and HS Cross Country programs attended the “Texas Heat Cross Country Camp” for the first time. Runners logged around 10 miles a day (including walking around and their second fun workout), attended lectures where they learned more about HYDRATION and NUTRITION and were provided with helpful and easy ways to ensure they are getting everything they need to be successful. As a result from the camp, I as well learned many great helpful tips to help our CC program become the best in Texas.
As a result their will be a few changes to our practice schedule this season. We will be working out (2) mornings: Monday & Wednesday @5:45am, then (2) evenings: TUESDAY & THURSDAY @7:00pm, until after Labor Day, which then it will change to 4:00pm. This is just one of the many things I would like to share with all parents and runners before we begin as a WHOLE family our quest for the district crowns and Road to State. However, beyond everything we learned and have been working on this season, is teamwork and excitement. Each and every practice the team will be challenged to encourage and push their teammates, and keep in mind we are not finished until the last runner comes to the end.
So please make plans to attend the Parent Meeting WEDNESDAY AUGUST 24th @ 5:30pm in the HS Library.
As well, we will be discussing coming up with a plan for Breakfast in the mornings and snacks at meets. And then members of the Athletic Booster Club will be in attendance to discuss the plan for the upcoming year and how they will be working to help the CC team as well to meet our needs. We encourage you to join if you can!
And last BUT NOT LEAST, we will also discuss our FUNDRAISER coming up. We will be selling SH flags for the community.
It is going to be an exciting season and I look forwards to another remarkable year with the SH runners and watching them Build a Legacy one stride at a time…TOGETHER!!
The week has come, where two a days, and the mission begins for most sports. However, for SH XC we have been going strong for many weeks throughout the summer. And as awesome as it has been, i cannot wait for the whole team to get together in the next week! We will taking 21 runners to the first ever XC camp this wee, leaving Wednesday. And for many others i know you will be working hard in either: Band, Volleyball, Football, and tennis! If you are not to worn out each day…try and get in a good 30 min run and core (choose from your list i gave you at the beginning of the summer). Here is the schedule for the next TWO WEEKS…MANDATORY WORKOUTS START (8/8/16) IF YOU HAVE A CONFLICT LET ME KNOW PERSONALLY.
MONDAY (8/1/) – OYO 30 min + core
TUESDAY (8/2) – OYO 30 min + core ((campers off))
WEDNESDAY (8/3)0 – leave for camp / OYO 30 min + CORE
THURSDAY (8/4) – camp / same as above
FRIDAY (8/5) – same as above
SATURDAY (8/6) – same as above
SUNDAY (8/7) – campers 5k – off
MONDAY ( 8/8) – meet at 6:30am AT SH JH FIELD HOUSE
TUESDAY (8-9) – meet at WO @ 6:30 am ((LAST WO RUN))
WEDNESDAY (8/10) – meet at SH @7am **SENIOR LED WORKOUT**
THURSDAY (8/11) – meet at SH @7:30 pm
FRIDAY (8/12) – OYO or pool workout🙂
SATURDAY (8/13) – ACTIVITY TBA🙂
ITS TIME TO PUT ALL THE BASE TRAINING AND GROUP WORK INTO PLAY…AS WE CONTINUE OUR #ROADTOSTATE2016&BEYOND
Due to a couple conflicts and change of time, rather then going to ijump for our cross training this week, we will be heading to Pine Tree public pool for a little swim and pool workout!
We will be meeting around 1:30pm and leave around 1:50pm (July 30th) tomorrow to go to the pool, which opens at 2:00pm. The cost per child is $3.00 and they can bring a snack if they would like or there is a snack bar.
We will return around 4:00. If it beigns to storm we will not go, or return early, we will just play it by ear and hope mother nature works with us!
Girls- Try and have a one piece or tankini suit
Boys- Make sure in your swimsuit their is a liner (PER PT POOL RULES)